About Me

My photo
antrim, antrim, Ireland
Hello and welcome to my blog. If you like flowers and gardens, housey stuff, food and banter, then this is the place for you. I am a decorative artist, florist and maker of things. I sell painted furniture, plants and crafts, through a local retail shop, in my native Ireland, and wedding flowers from home. I am married to a lovely patient man and have a smashing little girl. I blog for the fun of it. Thank you for listening.

Friday 28 December 2012

It's Shoe Time!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and are looking forward to your New Year celebrations?

The run-up to Christmas was especially busy for me this year, as I decided to make a lot of my decorations and presents. I had decided on a shoe theme, and so I set about making decorations from card and paper, fabric and wool. The Grapic's Fairy was a wonderful source for vintage shoe images, which I printed off, and then hand-painted or added glitter and other embellishments.




I then drew an exagerrated design of a boot, and cut some out of fabric, stuffed with wadding and added a little scented oil for a pleasant smell on the tree. I embellished again with buckles, buttons or bells.

It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it, and I didn't miss my traditional red and green decorations at all!

My two little neices received homemade slippers, which went down very well with them, I was relieved to hear.


 
Aren't they cute, the design for the slippers came from one of my Tilda Christmas books, and of course I embellished! I must admit when I realised that funds were very tight this year, and I was going to have to make a lot of my presents, to feeling a little sorry for myself, and for the recipients. However when I began to really think about who I was making for and what they would love, I began to realise, that this was actually much nicer. I could put loads of love and time into making something so personal and special.

 My sister-in-law received a little sewing bag, complete with needle case and pin cushion. She likes to do cross stitch, and wants to try patchwork, but always complains of not having any time. The bag is embroidered with the words 'Take time to sew'. I saw her yesterday and she told me it was the best present she had received, it made me feel really good. I got the patterns for these from a lovely book called 'Stitch with Love' by Mandy Shaw.


My brother got a new Christmas jumper, much to the relief of the family, he has been wearing one that I made, must be 20 years ago now, and it was beginning to look rather sad, but he just loved the tradition of putting on his Christmas jumper on Christmas day! There were other things, I made phone and tablet covers for my husband, make-up bags for my neice, a knitted snood for my brother-in-law, but I ran out of time for photographing and had to get them wrapped!

 Oh yes and there was the stocking for the newest member of the family 'Florence.' Also some more wreaths and table arrangements. Needless to say when Christmas day came, after all the cooking, I felt a little bit tired!! So, I took it easy on Boxing day and the day after, and today!


Lemons and ivy for my front door, together with a black ribbon with gold bees on to remember those who died in Connecticut, and some neighbours who passed away this year.

 A plain evergreen wreath for the gate.


 A natural table arrangement with chillies, pomegranate, oranges, fircones and poppy seedheads.
 
Two smaller arrangements with a little mini Poinsettia, apples, lemons and chllies.

My dear friend Gill from Gillyflower blog made these lovely hearts from old linen and ticking, I gave 2 as presents and kept 2 to remind me of Gill.


 
I would like to wish all my readers and followers a very Happy New Year, full of peace and promise. Thank you so much for all your wonderul comments over this last year. I have now been blogging for 2 years, which has been a very enlightening experience for me. Much love to you all, Linda x.
 

13 comments:

  1. It seems most of us have pretty much everything we need and more, and so how much more valuable is something a person makes for us than buys for us. These are all great!

    Happy New Year to you also Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think handmade goodies are always the best.

    Im sure all the lucky recipients truly appreciated the effort and thought that went into them.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think homemade is much better than shop brought. You have to take time,effort and love to make these gifts.
    Your makes were wonderful. Maybe next year I will try all homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linda

    You are blessed with so much talent! I am in awe of all the beautiful items you created and is it any wonder you are tired? Glad you got a few days rest. I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year full of joy and prosperity.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Linda!

    Season's blessings to you and your family!

    Jay left for Boise early yesterday morning. The nest is once again empty. My husband and I finished the last of the Christmas dinner leftovers.

    You, my friend, have been busy! Your hand stitched gifts are darling! Such detail. There is nothing like opening and holding a gift that is made with love.

    The shoes are so pretty! They can be displayed into the New Year since they do not scream Christmas!

    As always, I adore your floral creativity. The natural table arrangement must smell as beautiful as it looks.

    I believe the senseless loss of the children Connecticut made an impact on the world. The holiday held more prayer and reflection.

    I do hope that we can meet one day, Linda.

    I close with a big HUG and the best wishes for the new year ahead. I will be holding you in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for your event in February.
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda! Hand made gifts are such wonderful gifts, made with love! I love your delightfully decorative shoe ornaments, especially with the added glitter sprinkled here and there. You have worked so hard, I'm glad to hear you could have some rest afterwards.
    Sending you warm wishes for a very Happy New Year.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Linda, your gifts are sooo lovely! Just my taste.....love the little shoe ornaments and how thoughtful, and from the heart, making gifts for your loved ones. Sometimes out of necessity are born the best of things ! Thank you for your lovely comments to my blog this year, I have valued and appreciated every one....all the best in 2013! N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your homemade decorations and gifts look really great, that is so thoughtful, your friends and family are really lucky! I particularly like the slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda you are so talented, what lovely things you made. Happy New Year to you my blogging friend, I look forward to visiting your blog often in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Linda, it's all so wonderful! The shoe decorations are adorable, and I love the slippers and sewing bag. MUCH BETTER gifts than anything you could have purchased from a store!
    All of it perfect!
    Wishing you and yours a VERY HAPPY 2013!!!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Linda, you have been so so busy!
    Just love all the shoe themed decorations, the gorgeous wreaths and flower arrangements,and all the lovely gifts - the little slippers are so cute!
    It's much more personal and thoughtful to make and give handmade gifts, I'm sure all your family were thrilled.
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy and successful New Year in 2013, and thank you for all your lovely and supportive comments over the past year - and I'm so glad you like the hearts!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, no, don't feel sorry for yourself or the recipients. They won't be sorry in the slightest - they will be just thrilled to get such wonderful personal gifts!!! The personal ones done just for me are always the very best sort.

    All the best to you and yours in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool stuff you have and you keep overhaul every one of us. shoe deodorizer machine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.....